Friday, August 14, 2009

Can't Live Forever

I know it's Friday and I should be all light hearted and upbeat. Indeed I am, but today's topic won't be. I was reading on a message board about death and whether or not you fear it. Some of the responses were interesting enough to inspire this blog.

Death to me is one of those things you know is going to happen. You can't do anything about it. So, you put it on the backburner but you know it's still there. I can't say that I don't fear death. I can't say that I do fear death. I will say that I accept death as a part of life. Not the most pleasant part of life, but a part nevertheless.

I watched my mother take her last breath. Between the tears I wondered where did she go. I see her shell but where is she? As a believer, I know one of these days I will live with God in Heaven. That I know. What I don't know is while we are "waiting" for the Return, where are we? Are you just asleep, chillin, in limbo? The unknown of your temporary place is kind of what troubles me.

I know that I don't want to die young. The decision (or any of the other two things) is not mine, but just stating that fact. There are a lot of things I want to accomplish and see in this natural life. I don't want to die violently. The thought of someone blasting my head off is enough to make me dizzy. I don't want to die alone. I don't even think an animal should die alone. As hard as it was to experience it, I held my mother's hand until her chest didn't rise again. I caressed her hand and spoke assuringly to her that she could rest. I told her that she did good and one of these days I'll see her again. I pray that my being there was some kind of comfort for her.

Death will happen. No ducking it. No dodging it. No bribing it. No sending someone else to do it for you. Each day is a gift and a blessing. Physical death is a part of life, but if you're walking around here dead........stop it. Go out and enjoy life. Find some kind of joy or reason to get out of bed each day. Don't sweat what you can't control. Remember: Everybody dies but not everybody lives. Peace.

No comments: