Thursday, October 1, 2009

No Matter What You Call 'Em, We Gotta Save 'Em


Ta-tas. Boobies. Knockers. Funbags. All these are colorful euphanisms for breasts. Nicknames for breasts vary from region to region. Some are cute. Some are funny. However, when breast becomes an adjective and no longer a noun, the giggles subside.


Prior to 2005, I didn't know much about breast cancer. I knew it existed, but it was on the same level as Paris, Harvard, or living in Siberia. After my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, I wanted to know all that I could about this awful disease. My mom never got down about having cancer. As a matter of fact, she used that as a springboard to tell every woman she could find about getting mammograms, taking care of yourself, etc. She took a problem and turned it into a platform.


After she died, breast cancer awareness became a very important subject to me. Any chance I get, I tell women I know about the importance of self-checks and if they are of age, mammograms. Even though my mother died, breast cancer is not a death sentence. There are wonderful treatment options out there. It has been documented that exercise, dieting, cutting back on alcohol can all decrease the chances of getting breast cancer.


I pray often that one day this awful disease will be eradicated from this planet. I have seen it leave a trail of death and destruction in its wake. On the flip side, I have seen some very courageous women (and men) fight this enemy and are winning the battle every day. October is National Breast Cancer Awareness month. Please however you can help......do so. If you can't do a Race for the Cure......donate. If you cannot donate money......donate your time. If you can't donate your time.......pray. To all my ladies out there, take care of your ta-tas. Peace.


Sidenote: Here is a link to some facts about breast cancer: http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/breastcancer/a/breastcancfacts.htm