Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Wrap It Up, B

Tomorrow, we not only complete another year, but a whole decade. As much as I would like to do a decade in review, I'll leave that up to the journalists. I'll just stick to wrapping up 2009. This is a totally non definitive list, just freestyling. Here goes.

Obama went through is first year of presidency. He was fought on everything he tried to do. Heck the media even went after Michelle for wearing shorts. I've never been an Obama fan but I do think they went in extra on him. Hope year 2 goes a little better for him.

The economy stayed in the crapper all year. Employers laid people off left and right. Employers used the economy as an excuse to do any and everything they wanted to. Over the last few weeks, seems as if the economy is making a little bit of a rebound. I pray this recovery kicks into overdrive heading into the new year.

2009 started as the year of beating a chick down. Chris Brown lumped Rhianna up and ended up becoming a verb. Bebe Winans even got in on the act (allegedly *winks*). However, seems like women went postal and started taking dudes out. Arturo Gatti, Steve McNair, and Chris Henry....RIP.

Jeans got tighter but not for the ladies, but the fellas. Tight pants, loud shirts, and colorful sneakers became the uniform for "swag". Please for 2010 let's get rid of swag and go back to the essentials of cool.

Madoff ran off with all the cash. Stafford too. Madoff went out like a G. He said he acted alone and let his family spend the dough. My prayers go out to all the folk who lost the money in their schemes...especially the ones whose money was lost in pensions by trusted money managers.

Michael Jackson died and it sent shockwaves. Just about every generation grew up on Mike's music. I don't think we'll ever see another talent like him. The guy was a musical genius and uber talented. Through his music he will live forever. RIP to the King of Pop.

We lost a lot of people in 2009. Much love and RIP to: Brittany Murphy, Alaina Reed, Farrah Fawcett, Oral Roberts, Bea Arthur, Walter Cronkite, Patrick Swayze, Koko Taylor, Kay Yow, Billy Mays, Percy Sutton, David "Pop" Winans, as well as everyone we lost, famous or not.

Let's hand out some hardware:

Person of the year - Annise Parker - Not for becoming the first openly gay mayor of Houston, but for winning the election with tact and grace.

Album of the year - Wale - Attention Deficit

Underrated Album of the Year - (tie) Tanya Morgan - Brooklynati and Melanie Fiona - The Bridge

Movie of the Year - The Princess and the Frog (barely beats out The Hangover)

Facepalm Quote of the Year - "I don't wanna be alone. The Aloneness is so alone" - Kate Gosselin

In closing, 2009 was a great year. It had its ups and it had its downs, but overall I was pretty satisfied. I welcome not only a new year but a new decade with open arms. I welcome all the friends I am to meet. All the goals I am to accomplish. Please everyone be safe tomorrow night because I want to see you in 2010. 2009, I bid you farewell.......peace.

No comments: