Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I'm a Gleek and Proud Of It

People always talk about guilty pleasures. You know, stuff they enjoy but don't want anyone else to know out of fear they will be branded "lame" "dork" "nerd" and the like. I have no guilty pleasures. I like what I like and if you don't like it.....TBN. My new favorite pleasure is Glee...a tv show that comes on Fox on Wednesdays.

I don't recall my high school having a glee club....or too many clubs for that matter. Anywho, I digress. I'm doubtful I would have joined if they did have one since I can't carry a tune in a bucket and my best dancing is done if someone is shooting at my feet. Also, I don't think I was much of a "loser" in high school. *looks into camera*

The show is set in small town Ohio which makes it somewhat relateable with me being from small town Arkansas. The show is centered on the Glee Club members and director's day to day issues. The show deals with things such as homosexuality (you gotta see Kurt's rendition of Beyonce's Single Ladies), disability, teen pregnancy, etc. I think the characters are pretty layered. Now I do not like the stereotypical sassy black chick typecast but homegirl can sang so I'll it slide. My fave characters:


Sue Slyvester (Jane Lynch)- Coach of the Cheerios (for you slow boats.....cheerleaders). This chick is completely devoid of 'ruth. She says what she wants, how she wants, and doesn't care who gets it. She hates the Glee Club with the white hot of a million suns and will stop at nothing to bring the squad down. I like how they kinda make her seem to be a lezzie but not quite.

Best quoteable: I empower my Cheerios to be champions. Do they go to college? I don't know. I don't care. Should they learn Spanish? Sure, if they wanna become gardeners and dishwashers.



Noah Puckerman aka Puck - Starts off calling the Glee club "Homo Explosion" but ends up joining after his best friend joins.......ironic much? Puck is the ultimate BA football jock with the mohawk to top it off. He's your typical "hard on the outside but a little soft on the inside". He has a mad wicked crush (there's something else but don't wanna spoil for those who haven't watched) on his best friend's gal which seems to torment him.



Rachel Berry - The interwebs seem to really dislike her but I kinda dig her character. Perhaps because I'm an ambitious, highly talented, young lady. Hehe. Rachel has big dreams of singing on Broadway and she won't let some small town grassy knollers keep her from it. I don't think she's stuck up or anything, she just can't relate to people her age or "not on her level". I know the feeling. She has a mad wicked crush on Finn. They have that "will they, won't they" thing going on.

Glee is not nearly as funny as let's say Modern Family. It can be campy at times and at others uber-dramatic. If this show can find a happy medium, I think Fox may be on to something. The most awesome thing about the show is the music. All the cast can really sing (from what I hear) and they do a wonderful job. So good that I went out and got the soundtrack. So if you're channel surfing on a Wednesday night....give Glee a go. Or if you're interwebs surfing......slide over to hulu.com and check out some eps. Peace.

No comments: