Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Bible and the Rolling Stones

Last week, I posted an entry about an opportunity I was in the running for. Well, it did not pan out. I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't a little bummed out about it. However, I am still in the land of the living and have steady income coming in.

A little known fact about me is that I'm a casual Rolling Stones fan. I think Mick and the boys are pretty awesome. One of their most famous songs is You Can't Always Get What You Want. Sounds a bit defeatist until you hear the last couple lines of the chorus. "But if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need".

As much as I wanted that opportunity to work out, it wasn't what I needed. I simply wanted it; maybe the person who got it needed it. Maybe they were down to their last out and needed a homerun. That's a glamorized version but it boils down to it wasn't what I needed. I know that what I need will be 100x times greater than what I want because God's plan blows my plan out of the water.

Right now, Lamentations 3:25-26 is on my heart. Just in case you don't have your Bibles handy it says: "The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord". You don't choose whether or not you get knocked down...you choose whether or not you get back up. Peace.

No comments: