Wednesday, February 24, 2010

You Don't Get Another One Until After the Rapture

The last couple weeks, I have been battling ailments here and there. Over the last few days, I kept having this funny feeling. Nothing ached. Nothing was giving me grief. I wasn't hurling. It was just this feeling of general ickyness. I soon found a term for how I was feeling...malaise.

Instead of continuing to sit around and hope it goes away, I made an appointment to see a doctor. She is one of the nicest docs I've ever gone to and if you're in the H and looking for one, holla at me and I'll give you her info. She was so attentive and asked questions. I didn't feel like I was on a conveyor belt. Long story short, she gave me the full look over and ran some tests. Some things I need to work on, but overall I'm in decent health.

It is well documented that Blacks and doctors go together like Porsches and Pintos. Growing up my parents took us to get our shots and whatnot. However, if you went to the doctor, you were 2 levels past Tussin and 10 levels past Blessed Oil. Basically, you were on the brink of death or your limb was hanging out of your body and Granny's split couldn't set it. I think a lot of doctor aversion stems from a lot of us not having money (insurance) to visit the doctor regularly.

Now is the time to change that. If you feel like something is wrong, go see a doctor. Even if you're uninsured/underinsured, go see the doctor. There are programs and actually some doctors who will work out payment terms with you. Worried about missing work/school? You can't work if you're dead and there's no college in the afterlife. Scared something a test may come out a way you don't want it to? It's better to know than to fall out somewhere. Most diseases/ailments are curable or controllable.

I'm not saying you have to turn into a vegan workout warrior. Just make some changes to ensure that your body is in the best shape it can be. Don't be afraid of the doctor. If it's been a minute since you've been, go ahead and make that call. As of February 2010, you only get one body here on Earth. You have to take care of it. Peace.

No comments: