Monday, October 31, 2011

Did I Miss the "Monolithic Thought" Convention?

As a rule, I try not to get too political on my blog. Not because I don't have any opinions, it's just easier to keep views to myself. After a quasi-heated debate on a message board, I decided to take my frustrations to the blog. A guy said Herman Cain was a sellout because he's a Republican.

I am sick and tired of every black person (myself included) who decided not a be a Democrat by default being labeled as a sellout, Uncle Tom, coon, etc. Was there an official statement issued that said all black people must be Democrats? If choosing the candidate that best aligns with my beliefs REGARDLESS of political affiliation instead of being a Yellow Dog Democrat makes me a sellout...[VOICE=Redman]I'll bee dat![/VOICE]

It always baffled me why my mother wasn't a Republican. She was against abortion, wasn't too fond of teh gheys ('cept for me :-D), and wasn't a fan of any abled bodied person who didn't work. Her mother told her to be a Democrat and she went with it. She tried to pass that on to me, but I wanted no parts of it.

I used to hate seeing the local Democrat candidate at the church trying to get votes. Swaying back and forth when they choir sang, jumping up and down during the sermon. I always wondered why did they do it, these sheep wouldn't dare vote Republican. You may as well go play golf or something because you got them in the bag.

Back when I was 18, I chose by my own volition to register as a Republican. I liked their message of small government, capitalism, and pulling yourself up by your bootstrap. Plus I knew the history of the Democratic party. It stunned my parents and siblings. Growing up you were taught that Republicans are all old fat white men who were racist as the days are long. Republicans hated black people and they REALLY hated poor black people. Not once was I told that quite a few of our black heroes were Republicans.

Over the years, I caught a lot of flak for being a Republican. "Do you know how racist that party is?" Oh I'm sorry I forgot the pillar for civil rights, Bull Connor was a card carrying Republican. Wait...he's not. My bad. Oh well surely the man who filibustered to keep the Civil Rights Act of 1957, Strom Thurmond, from being passed was a Republican. Wait...he isn't either? I know you will argue that he did switch parties but only because he found a kindred spirit or butt buddy (your call) Barry Goldwater who opposed the 1964 bill.

"How can you be gay and be a Republican?" I calmly pointed out that I don't see Democrats breaking down the door singing Kumbaya at PFLAG meetings. Democrats aren't really that much interested in legalizing gay marriage. I don't have the numbers on hand; I'm sure there are a fair amount of gay supporting Republicans as well anti-gay Democrats. To me, it's a wash.

I said all that to say this: being a black Republican does not make you a sellout. You are no "blacker" if you vote Democratic. Instead of finding more ways of being divisive, let us work towards making a better country. Watch for the hook. Stop blindly giving candidates your vote because of the (D) behind his or her name. I implore you no matter what your political affiliation to support candidates that best represent your views and ideals. Peace.

What set you claim edit: While I still lean towards the right, I identify as an Independent.

No comments: